Players of the Week/Month
FALCONS WR JULIO JONES, PANTHERS CB JOSH NORMAN &
SEAHAWKS KR-PR TYLER LOCKETT
NAMED NFC PLAYERS OF MONTH FOR SEPTEMBER
Wide receiver JULIO JONES of the Atlanta Falcons, cornerback JOSH NORMAN of the Carolina Panthers and rookie kick returner-punt returner TYLER LOCKETT of the Seattle Seahawks are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for September, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: WR JULIO JONES, ATLANTA FALCONS
- Jones led the NFL with 34 catches and 440 receiving yards and scored four touchdowns as the Falcons posted a 3-0 record in September. He also topped the league in scrimmage yards (440) and first downs (23).
- His 34 receptions are the most in NFL history by a player in his team's first three games to start a season.
- Jones is the first player in league annals with at least 135 receiving yards in each of his team's first three games.
- The Falcons are the first club in NFL history to start 3-0 after trailing in the fourth quarter of each game.
- Jones had nine catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns on Kickoff Weekend in a win over Philadelphia. He had 13 catches for 135 yards in Week 2 at the New York Giants. Jones finished the month with 12 catches for 164 yards and two touchdowns at Dallas in Week 3.
- In his fifth season from Alabama, this is Jones' first career Player of the Month Award.
- He was named the NFC Offensive Player of Week 1.
- Jones is the third wide receiver in franchise history to be named Offensive Player of the Month, joining ANDRE RISON (October 1990) and RODDY WHITE (October 2010).
DEFENSE: CB JOSH NORMAN, CAROLINA PANTHERS
- Norman tied for the NFL lead with two interceptions and had 15 tackles, five passes defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery as the Panthers finished the month 3-0.
- He had a 30-yard interception-return touchdown in Week 1 and added a forced fumble and fumble recovery in that game. Norman is the only player in the past 25 seasons to have an interception-return touchdown, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery on Kickoff Weekend.
- In Week 3, he sealed a key division win over New Orleans with an interception in the end zone with just over one minute remaining in the game and Carolina leading by five points.
- Norman's five passes defensed during the month tied for the most in the NFC.
- In his fourth year from Coastal Carolina, this is Norman's first career Player of the Month Award.
- He is the first defensive back in team history to be named Defensive Player of the Month.
- Norman is the first Panther to win Defensive Player of the Month since THOMAS DAVIS in 2013 (November).
SPECIAL TEAMS: KR-PR TYLER LOCKETT, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
- Lockett had a 105-yard kickoff-return touchdown and a 57-yard punt-return touchdown during the month, the only player in the league to return two kicks for a touchdown.
- He had a 57-yard PR-TD in Week 1 and a 105-yard KR-TD in Week 3 and is only the second rookie in NFL history (TONY GREEN, 1978) to have both a punt-return touchdown and a kickoff-return touchdown in his team's first three games to start a season.
- Lockett's 105-yard kickoff-return touchdown is the longest in franchise history.
- His 334 total kick-return yards (240 kickoff, 94 punt) are the most in the NFL.
- In his rookie season from Kansas State, this is Lockett's first career Player of the Month Award.
- Lockett joins JOEY GALLOWAY (November 1995) as the only rookies in franchise history to be named Special Teams Player of the Month.
2015 NFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
|September||WR Julio Jones, Atlanta||CB Josh Norman, Carolina||KR-PR Tyler Lockett, Seattle|