'Aeneas Williams: A Football Life' Premieres Friday, December 8 at 9:00 PM ET
"When you write out the end, it helps you make better decisions at the beginning." – Aeneas Williams
NFL Network's Emmy-nominated series A Football Life continues Friday, December 8 at 9:00 PM ET with a profile of Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive back Aeneas Williams. The one-hour show produced by NFL Films features sitdown interviews with Williams, fellow Hall of Famers such as Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Cris Carter and Michael Irvin, former teammates and head coaches, and more.
The story of how a walk-on at Southern University became a Pro Football Hall of Famer is one few people know. During his playing days, many people were more fascinated with Aeneas Williams' name than his game. However, throughout his NFL career Aeneas would certainly live up to the meaning of his name: worthy to be praised. Aeneas Williams: A Football Life examines Williams' impact on and off the field, as well as his influence during his retirement and pastoring in the city of Ferguson, Missouri and beyond.
Among the topics discussed in Aeneas Williams: A Football Life are:
- His struggle growing up outside of New Orleans
- His college journey following his brother to Southern University and deciding to walk onto the football team
- The Arizona Cardinals' win against the Dallas Cowboys in the 1998 NFC Wild Card game and his matchup with Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin
- The trade to the St. Louis Rams in 2001 and advancing to Super Bowl XXXVI in his hometown of New Orleans
- Opening his first church in Ferguson, Missouri
- The journey to Israel with New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and fellow Pro Football Hall of Famers
Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles narrates.
Aeneas Williams: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people and more:
Tracy Williams – Wife
Lawrence Williams – Father
Malcolm Williams – Aeneas' brother
Achilles Williams – Aeneas' brother
Marshall Faulk – Hall of Fame running back & Rams teammate
Ray Lewis – Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker
Cris Carter – Hall of Fame receiver
Michael Irvin – Hall of Fame receiver
Kurt Warner – Hall of Fame quarterback & Rams teammate
Michael Bidwill – Cardinals owner
Mike Martz – Former Rams head coach
London Fletcher – Rams teammate
James Knowles III – Ferguson Mayor
Tim McDonald – Cardinals teammate
Rob Ryan – Former Cardinals defensive backs coach
Dave McGinnis – Former Cardinals head coach
Provided below are some select quotes from Aeneas Williams: A Football Life:
- "When you write out the end, it helps you make better decisions at the beginning." – Aeneas Williams on why he has already written his obituary
- "I've not only been a fan but an admirer of Aeneas Williams. I love that man…I'm glad he's in my life." – Ray Lewis
- "Watching him running around, making plays, down by 30 points and the way he was always positive about everything and the way he worked, he actually inspired me. Aeneas was one of the hardest working guys that I've ever played with...The guy was so special you couldn't overlook it. You learn from a guy like Aeneas how to handle tough situations." – Tim McDonald
- "When Aeneas is coming to your town, you know there is no easy route, there are no easy catches and if he got his hands on you, he's going to catch you." – Cris Carter
- "I had been playing against the Darrell Greens and the Rod Woodsons and the Deion Sanders and all those guys, and they had gotten a lot more credit and a lot of props more than Aeneas Williams. People don't know but this dude here is one of the better corners you are ever going to see in this game." – Michael Irvin
- "Just his whole story let's people know, even our children know, that nothing's impossible. If you put your heart into it and it's a part of your life assignment, it will come to pass. But you have to do the work." – Tracy Williams
This year, the 13-episode season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life airs Friday at 9:00 PM ET. Below is a broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of A Football Life:
- December 15 – John Randle
- December 22 – Lynn Swann & John Stallworth
ABOUT NFL MEDIA
NFL Media is comprised of NFL Network, NFL Films, NFL.com, NFL Now, NFL Mobile from Verizon and NFL RedZone.
Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, fans turn to NFL Network to receive information and insight straight from the field, team headquarters, league offices and everywhere the NFL is making news. Launched in 2003, NFL Network gives fans unprecedented year-round inside access to all NFL events, including the Super Bowl, Playoffs, regular season, preseason, Pro Bowl, Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend, NFL Draft, NFL Scouting Combine, Senior Bowl, league meetings, minicamps and training camps.
For fans on the go, all NFL Network programming can also be streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, as well as other digital platforms such as TuneIn.com and through Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV). Watch NFL Network access is available for NFL Network subscribers of participating TV providers. For more information, go to NFL.com/nflnetwork.
– NFL MEDIA –