'John Madden: A Football Life' Premieres Friday, September 29 at 9:00 PM ET
"How can you find a game that you really like and you can stay in it your whole life? I'm so damn lucky that I was able to do that." – John Madden
NFL Network's Emmy-nominated series A Football Life continues Friday, September 29 at 9:00 PM ET with a profile of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and former Emmy Award-winning broadcaster John Madden. The one-hour show produced by NFL Films features sitdown interviews with Madden, Raiders Hall of Famers Art Shell and Jim Otto, NBC sports personnel Bob Costas, Dick Ebersol, Fred Gaudelli and Al Michaels, and more.
Each episode of A Football Life – as well as all NFL Network programming – is streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, and via Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV).
Household NFL name John Madden stepped onto the scene in 1969 as the Oakland Raiders head coach, leading the franchise to its first Super Bowl victory in 1977. Following his coaching career, Madden went on to become a 16-time Emmy Award-winning broadcaster and the poster child for the Madden NFL video game franchise. John Madden: A Football Life examines Madden's storied football life and the legacy he has left on the game and its players.
Among the topics discussed in John Madden: A Football Life are:
- His 10-season career as head coach for the Oakland Raiders
- Defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1977 and leading the Raiders to their first Super Bowl title
- His 30-year career in broadcasting
- The development of EA Sports' Madden NFL
- His enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006
Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles narrates.
John Madden: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people and more:
Joe Madden – Son
Mike Madden – Son
John Robinson – Former USC Head Coach
Art Shell – Raiders Hall of Fame Tackle
Jim Otto – Raiders Hall of Fame Center
George Atkinson – Former Raiders Defensive Back
Ice Cube – Actor/Musician
Bob Costas – NBC Sports
Cris Collinsworth – NBC Sports
Fred Gaudelli – NBC Sports
Al Michaels – NBC Sports
Dick Ebersol – NBC Sports
Joe Buck – Fox Sports
Trip Hawkins – Founder of Electronic Arts
Sandy Montag – John Madden's Agent
Provided below are some select quotes from John Madden: A Football Life:
- "How can you find a game that you really like and you can stay in it your whole life? I'm so damn lucky that I was able to do that." – John Madden
- "He was a Hall of Fame football coach. He was a gigantic television star. Why? Because the bit of advice that everybody gets that's easy to say but hard to follow: be yourself. He was able to be himself…and people loved him." – Bob Costas
- "He was so detailed; and yet at the same time, he could not hide his passion, or most of all, his sense of joy that he was at this game." – Dick Ebersol
- "John would say 'I can't believe that I'm best known for a video game.' I don't think any of us could've imagined that that would happen." – Trip Hawkins
- "We love John Madden. He was truly himself. He was true to the people that were around him. He cared about people. He loved people. He loved his players. He loved his family. He only wanted the best for all of us." – Art Shell
This year, the 13-episode season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life airs Friday at 9:00 PM ET. Below is a broadcast schedule for upcoming episodes of A Football Life:
- October 6 – Wes Welker
- October 13 – Sam Mills
- November 3 – Jim Kelly
ABOUT NFL MEDIA
NFL Media is comprised of NFL Network, NFL Films, NFL.com, NFL Now, NFL Mobile from Verizon and NFL RedZone.
Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, fans turn to NFL Network to receive information and insight straight from the field, team headquarters, league offices and everywhere the NFL is making news. Launched in 2003, NFL Network gives fans unprecedented year-round inside access to all NFL events, including the Super Bowl, Playoffs, regular season, preseason, Pro Bowl, Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend, NFL Draft, NFL Scouting Combine, Senior Bowl, league meetings, minicamps and training camps.
For fans on the go, all NFL Network programming can also be streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, as well as other digital platforms such as TuneIn.com and through Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV). Watch NFL Network access is available for NFL Network subscribers of participating TV providers. For more information, go to NFL.com/nflnetwork.
– NFL MEDIA –