'Jim Kelly: A Football Life' Premieres Friday, November 3 at 9:00 PM ET
"I can go on and on, all of the ups and downs in my life. But the Lord was preparing me for what I'm doing now and that's hopefully making a difference for others out there." – Jim Kelly
NFL Network's Emmy-nominated series A Football Life continues Friday, November 3 at 9:00 PM ET with a profile of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. The one-hour show produced by NFL Films features sitdown interviews with Kelly, his wife and daughters, Hall of Famers Marv Levy, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bill Polian, and more.
Each episode of A Football Life – as well as all NFL Network programming – is streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, and via Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV).
Throughout his life, Jim Kelly has been defined by his toughness and his ability to pick himself up following hardships. No matter the circumstance – suffering a serious shoulder injury his senior season at the University of Miami, losing in four consecutive Super Bowls, the loss of his son Hunter Kelly, his cancer diagnosis – Kelly has displayed an ability to fight through and to not be defeated.
Among the topics discussed in Jim Kelly: A Football Life are:
- Playing at the University of Miami after Penn State only offered him a scholarship to play linebacker
- Kelly's decision to play in the USFL after being selected by the Buffalo Bills in the 1983 NFL Draft
- Eventually playing for the Buffalo Bills following the collapse of the USFL in 1986
- The birth of the K-Gun offense
- Kelly's perseverance to overcome the loss of his son Hunter Kelly and his cancer diagnosis
Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles narrates.
Jim Kelly: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people and more:
Jill Kelly – Wife
Camryn Kelly – Daughter
Erin Kelly – Daughter
Frank Reich – Bills teammate
Steve Tasker – Bills teammate
Darryl Talley – Bills teammate
Thurman Thomas – Bills teammate
Andre Reed – Bills teammate
Marv Levy – Former Bills head coach
Bill Polian – Former Bills general manager
Howard Schnellenberger – Former University of Miami head coach
Vic Carucci – Buffalo News
Provided below are some select quotes from Jim Kelly: A Football Life:
- "I can go on and on, all of the ups and downs in my life. But the Lord was preparing me for what I'm doing now and that's hopefully making a difference for others out there." – Jim Kelly
- "His ability to want to get up off the floor, get off the deck and stand again, that's the part that really came to the forefront when he was sick." – Darryl Talley
- "My agent looked at me and goes, 'Is there anywhere you don't want to play?' I go, 'Oh yeah. I don't want to play for Green Bay, I don't want to play for Minnesota and I sure don't want to play for the Buffalo Bills.'" – Jim Kelly
- "Never in the history of the NFL has a player walked out of a tunnel with more – forget about pressure – expectation placed on him." – Steve Tasker
- "Joe Klecko and company just start beating the living daylights out of him but for Buffalo fans, they saw that Jim had this fire in him. They saw that Jim would take the hit and just like that bounce right back up." – Vic Carucci
- "The best part about it and the reason I'm in the Pro Football Hall of Fame is coach [Marv] Levy put his job security on the line. He let me call all of the plays." – Jim Kelly
- "In the football chapter of his life, did we come up one game short? Yeah. But at the end of the day, when you look at the whole story, if it's not all about helping other people out and bringing people together and fighting battles together and going through victories and defeats together – if that's not being a hero I don't know what is." – Frank Reich
- "After Hunter was gone, Jim just hit a dark place but came out of that stronger than I've ever seen him. Came out of that more of a man than I had ever seen. Came out of that time incredibly humble and compassionate in ways that he had never been before, and he's never been the same since." – Jill Kelly
This year, the 13-episode season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life airs Friday at 9:00 PM ET. Below is a broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of A Football Life:
- November 10 – Larry Fitzgerald
- November 17 – Eddie George
- November 24 – Joe Gibbs
- December 1 – Jerry Jones
- December 8 – Aeneas Williams
- December 15 – John Randle
- December 22 – Lynn Swann & John Stallworth
ABOUT NFL MEDIA
NFL Media is comprised of NFL Network, NFL Films, NFL.com, NFL Now, NFL Mobile from Verizon and NFL RedZone.
Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, fans turn to NFL Network to receive information and insight straight from the field, team headquarters, league offices and everywhere the NFL is making news. Launched in 2003, NFL Network gives fans unprecedented year-round inside access to all NFL events, including the Super Bowl, Playoffs, regular season, preseason, Pro Bowl, Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend, NFL Draft, NFL Scouting Combine, Senior Bowl, league meetings, minicamps and training camps.
For fans on the go, all NFL Network programming can also be streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, as well as other digital platforms such as TuneIn.com and through Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV). Watch NFL Network access is available for NFL Network subscribers of participating TV providers. For more information, go to NFL.com/nflnetwork.
– NFL MEDIA –