Players of the Week/Month
QB PATRICK MAHOMES, RAIDERS DE MAXX CROSBY &
K EVAN MCPHERSON NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 1
Quarterback PATRICK MAHOMES of the Kansas City
Chiefs, defensive end MAXX CROSBY of
the Las Vegas Raiders and kicker EVAN
MCPHERSON of the Cincinnati Bengals are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and
Special Teams Players of the Week for games played on Kickoff Weekend 2021
(September 9, 12-13).
OFFENSE: QB PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Mahomes completed 27 of 36
pass attempts (75 pct.) for 337 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions for a
131.4 rating and added a rushing touchdown in Kansas City’s 33-29 comeback win
- This is the sixth-career Offensive
Player of the Week Award for Mahomes:
- 2018: Weeks 1-2
- 2019: Week 2
- 2020: Weeks 3, 8
- 2021: Week 1
- Mahomes has now won the
most-ever Offensive Player of the Week Awards by a Chiefs quarterback,
surpassing Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana (five).
DEFENSE: DE MAXX CROSBY, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
- Crosby registered six tackles, two sacks and two tackles for loss in the
Las Vegas’ overtime comeback victory over Baltimore on Monday Night Football.
- This is the second-career Defensive Player of the Week Award for Crosby
and third overall Player of the Week Award:
- 2019: Week 11 (Defense)
- 2020: Week 17 (Special Teams)
- 2021: Week 1 (Defense)
- Crosby’s three Defensive Player of the Week Awards are the most-ever by a
former Eastern Michigan player.
SPECIAL TEAMS: K EVAN MCPHERSON, CINCINNATI BENGALS
- In McPherson’s first-career game, he converted a 53-yard field goal in
the fourth quarter, and then the game-winning 33-yard field goal as time
expired in Cincinnati’s overtime victory over Minnesota.
- He became the second rookie kicker in NFL history to kick a game-winning
field goal with no time remaining in overtime, joining Jason Sanders (October
14, 2018). At 22 years and 53 days old, he also became the youngest kicker in
NFL history to kick a game-winner in overtime.
- McPherson becomes the first rookie kicker to win Special Teams Player of
the Week since Indianapolis’ Rodrigo Blankenship in Week 11 of the 2020 season
and joins Doug Pelfrey (Week 13, 1993) as the only Cincinnati rookie kickers to
earn the honor.
2021 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Mahomes, Kansas City
DE Maxx Crosby,