The Rutgers and Syracuse universities marching bands will perform on the field before Super Bowl XLVIII pregame festivities Sunday, Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium on Feb. 2, the NFL announced today.
Rutgers and Syracuse, two of the finest marching bands in the New Jersey and New York region, will perform at approximately 6 p.m. ET. Kickoff is slated for 6:30 p.m. ET.
The NFL has a long history of including marching bands in the Super Bowl. Rutgers and Syracuse join recent bands including:
- Southern University Marching Band (New Orleans, Super Bowl XLVII)
- The Indiana University Marching Band (Indianapolis, Super Bowl XLVI)
- Texas Christian University Marching Band (North Texas, Super Bowl XLV)
- Florida A&M University Marching Band (South Florida, Super Bowl XLIV)
- Marching Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman University (Tampa Bay, Super Bowl XLIII)
- Arizona State University Marching Band (Arizona, Super Bowl XLII)
- United States Marine Corps Band (South Florida, Super Bowl XLI)
Hailing from New Brunswick, N.J., the Rutgers University Marching Scarlet Knights have been performing for nearly 100 years. The band’s tradition of excellence continues today during their halftime, and in-game performances at all home football games, and other events, both on and off the Rutgers Campus. The band membership is comprised of students from nearly every academic major at the University.
The 200-member Syracuse University Marching Band performs for all home football games in SU’s Carrier Dome and is the flagship college band in the state of New York. It also serves as an ambassador, representing the University at major events both on and off campus.
The NFL will announce next month other pregame entertainment including televised performances from the NFL’s Tailgate Party and the National Anthem.
The NFL previously announced that Grammy Award winner Bruno Mars will perform in the Pepsi Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show.
# # #
Media Contact: Joanna Hunter, NFL, Joanna.Hunter@nfl.com; 212-450-2449