NFL Network’s ‘A Football Life’ Continues with Full-Season Wiring of Ray Lewis Wednesday, September 19 at 8:00 PM ET
Ravens Linebacker First Player to Wear Wireless Microphone for Entire Season
“The game will fade one day. I realize that success is one thing; impact is another. I live to impact people.” – Lewis
As a Super Bowl-winning linebacker and 17-year NFL veteran, Ray Lewis has had an indelible impact on the football field. Yet, the legacy Lewis continues to leave stretches far beyond what happens on Sundays, extending to his teammates, his family, the community of Baltimore and thousands of football fans across the country.
Lewis’ impactful life is detailed and explored in the NFL Films produced Ray Lewis: A Football Life, which premieres Wednesday, September 19 at 8:00 PM ET on NFL Network. Following in the footsteps of last year’s critically-acclaimed Bill Belichick: A Football Life, Lewis became the first player in NFL history to wear a wireless microphone in every game for an entire season.
NFL Films’ cameras followed Lewis on and off the field throughout the 2011 season, which ended in a loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game, capturing the middle linebacker in a variety of situations and roles. Featuring footage from inside the team meeting room prior to their Week 9 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, his speech to the Harvard Black Law Students Association at their Spring Conference, lighter moments spent with his family, and more, an all-encompassing profile of the 13-time Pro Bowl linebacker is provided.
The one-hour episode also chronicles his relationship with his father and the bond he formed with Ravens fan Bill Warble, who passed away earlier this year.
Emmy-nominated actor from CBS’ The Good Wife, Josh Charles, narrates.
To view the trailer of Ray Lewis: A Football Life, visit:
Below are select quotes from Ray Lewis: A Football Life:
- “The game will fade one day. I realize that success is one thing; impact is another. I live to impact people.” – Lewis
- “That type of interaction with people who really look up to you can change a life instantly.” – Lewis on his relationship with Bill Warble
- “Our fans can’t stand Pittsburgh. And Pittsburgh can’t stand us. It’s just the way it is.” – Lewis
- “I have been there many a time and you realize this is the same game that has haunted us the last three years. That one game, whether it was sooner [in the season] that you didn’t get homefield advantage, or whether it was later because you had to go play in their backyard.” – Lewis on facing the Pittsburgh Steelers
- “I don’t do this for me. I watch enough film so I could put myself in position to make my defense the best defense in damn football. That’s why I come back every year.” – Lewis to the Ravens in team meeting before Week 9 game against the Steelers
- “There is no middle linebacker in the game that can outplay me in their position. And until I’m done, there won’t be.” – Lewis
- “You don’t have to respect me by me. You’re going to respect me by what people who I’ve come in contact with know about me.” – Lewis
- “I promised my teammates and my coaches something: that we will finish this. We will see another Lombardi trophy in Baltimore. I owe them that.” – Lewis
Below is the September and October broadcast schedule for A Football Life, airing on Wednesday nights at 8:00 PM ET:
- September 26 – Tom Coughlin
- October 3 – Cleveland ‘95
- October 10 – Fearsome Foursome
- October 17 – Steve McNair
- October 24 – Eddie DeBartolo
- October 31 – Chris Spielman
Airing throughout the NFL season, A Football Life examines the iconic individuals and subjects that have had an undeniable and profound impact on the history of the National Football League, offering an inside look into their untold stories.
Every episode of A Football Life and all NFL Network programming is streamed live on NFL Mobile from Verizon, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log on to www.nfl.com/nflnetwork. NFL.com is the exclusive internet home of NFL Network.
– NFL MEDIA –